FLDS Children Need Their Momma's Milk

Anyone who has read my blog for more than 2 days knows that I am passionate about encouraging breastfeeding in all mothers who are physically able.

To that end, I was apalled when I read that the Judge in the FLDS case is refusing to rule on whether or not mothers may stay with their breastfeeding babies.

From a blog set up to help these women:
Judge Walther acknowledged that she recognizes that breastfeeding has
nutritional and bonding benefits and stated: "But every day in this country, we
have mothers who go back to work after six weeks of maternity leave."

I went back to work when Charlotte was 12 weeks old and I still breastfeed her. It is possible because I am only away from her for about 8 hours a day. I can pump at work and nurse her at home. Our breastfeeding relationship is not harmed in any way by my being at work. Judge Walther needs to realize that just becaues women do something, it doesn't mean that it is the best thing. She needs a reality check into the nutritional needs of infants, as recommended by the American Academy of Pediatrics.

If I can find a way to contact Judge Walther, I will let you know. Her decision adds a whole new dimension to the word abuse!

Comments

  1. I just shared this comment with Governor Perry via his website:

    I am asking the govenor to step in to the FLDS case and demand that breastfeeding women be allowed to stay with their babies. It is unconsciounable that Judge Walther is going against established medical advice in determining the placement of infants.

    Breastmilk has already been established as the best source of nourishment for infants. To have a sudden withdrawal from breastmilk poses infinite harm to both the infants and to the breastfeeding mothers.

    You can contact his officer here:
    http://www2.governor.state.tx.us/contact/assistance.aspx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw on the news last night that some of the children were coming here to San Antonio yesterday and my heart just hurts. Now that I think about it I wonder if those homes need supplies. We used to do drives at my old job for those shelters.

    Anyway, I agree with you on the breastfeeding front. I couldn't imagine having my breastfeeding child torn from me.

    Thanks for coming by The Mom Crowd and commenting! :)

    ~Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my, I hope the FLDS army of lawyers sue the state into third world status. If I was on the jury, the judge's statment alone would be enough to make me tell the state to take out its check book.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Be sure to leave an email address in your profile or in your comment if you'd like a reply.

Popular posts from this blog

Win Free Cereal

Note to Self

Yoplait Kids