Ho hum... its Saturday

I have had a very pleasant day so far. Try as I might, I could not sleep past 6:45 am. That was rather disappointing given my summer vacation is only a few days away. But, I woke up happy and well-rested so there isn't much to complain about here. After a while, I met Bruce out at our lot to check on the progress of our Dome Home (site last updated 5/19/7). We came back for a quiet lunch and I took a nap. Nap is over now and I am wasting away my afternoon browsing the internet. I'll probably work on my Beth Moore study of Daniel in just a little bit as well.

Since finding out that I need to take the 4-hour glucose test, I have decided to try and practice with the gestational diabetes diet. It hasn't been the hardest thing I've ever done, but well, let me tell you about it.

One thing I hate about trying to learn a new way to eat is the amount of time it consumes. On this particular diet (approved by a dietitian) I am to consume no more than 180 grams of carbohydrates a day. This is a vast improvement of Phase One of the South Beach diet plan. I can have no more than 30 of those carbs before lunch. For someone who typically eats cereal for breakfast then sometimes adds an English muffin with strawberry jam (homemade I might add), this is tough. My typical breakfast was probably close to 80 carbs, and fairly healthy by most standards because I choose high-fiber cereal, skim milk, and a whole wheat English muffin. Trying to find quick alternatives has not been easy. I ended up eating eggs (or egg beaters) every morning since Thursday, when I started trying to go low-carb. Preparing a breakfast with eggs takes more work than preparing cereal. Of course, as summer vacation is quickly approaching, this will be less of an issue.

But, what I was saying about time... I have become accustomed to choosing low fat foods. Making the switch to low-carb foods is a lot of work for someone who has never paid attention to carbs. I have to read every label or look things up online just to decide if I can eat them or not. Fortunately, I was able to turn to a favorite website of mine from long ago called FitDay. Here, I can plug in all my food choices and be able to instantly track my calories, plus my carbs, proteins, and fat grams. Hopefully, if I need to stick with this eating plan, it will get easier. I am going to have to restock my shelves and freezer though. They are not currently low carb friendly.

If anyone out there has any easy suggestions for low-carb meals, please leave them in a comment or e-mail me. I think I have an old copy of the South Beach Diet somewhere around my house... if I could only find it. I remember some good recipes in that book. I would especially be interested in any recipes that can be made in bulk and then frozen. I have time this summer to do that and plan to, just not with any of my old recipes.

I do want to tell you about my first baby shower, but this post has dragged on for a while... check back in a day or two for more information about how wonderful my friends and co-workers are!

Comments

  1. Hey! I just checked out your site - congrats on your pregnancy! Sounds like you have been enjoying it! That's great!
    I understand what you mean by carb control while pregnant. I am working on keeping my carbs low this pregnancy too.
    I basically do protein breakfasts - eggs with cheese is my favorite.
    Then I will usually have leftovers for lunch - and a mainly meat and veggie dinner. The biggest thing you can do to control carbs is to avoid the processed foods - and to avoid the rolls at dinner! Cutting out pieces of bread will really help! And - stay away from juice - really high in sugar!

    Anyway - that was probably more info than you wanted to hear! What is your due date (I am too lazy to do the math! :))
    Are you going to find out the sex or be surprised?

    Best wishes, momma-to-be!!

    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erica,
    I am due in mid-August. I can't wait to see more updates about your pregnancy!
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Be sure to leave an email address in your profile or in your comment if you'd like a reply.

Popular posts from this blog

Win Free Cereal

Note to Self

Yoplait Kids