Changes

It has been said that a baby changes everything. I don't think whoever said that first meant I would have a thicker head of hair either. Each day however, it becomes more clear to me how our life will change once Baby Sabin arrives. Bruce and I were talking about camping gear tonight, since this is one way we think we will be able to take affordable vacations once our income has to be stretched further. He was looking at a 3-person tent that is on sale right now at REI and suggesting we go ahead and get it now, while the price is right. I looked at him and pointed out that a 3-person tent really won't accommodate 2 adults and a baby while camping. We need to just go straight ahead into the full-size tent that includes a family room attachment. They aren't much more expensive and will last much longer as our family continues to grow. Either way, we won't be camping anytime soon! I don't think sleeping on the ground right now would keep this momma-to-be happy.

Another change I know I'll have to get used to is more personal. I really am a very selfish person and value my "down-time" very highly. Once there is a baby in the house though, I'm going to have to put my own needs aside to make sure Baby Sabin is well-cared for. Not that I think this will be a major problem... I really am looking forward to meeting and caring for Baby Sabin, but still... I will miss having a Sunday afternoon stretch out before me with nothing more than a massage, nap, and movie planned (like today).

I am feeling a little down though because I don't look as pregnant as I want too. I know it sounds silly to want to look pregnant, but when I see pictures of other women who are as far along as I am and they look more pregnant it makes me sad. Not for them, but for me. I guess I just want everyone to know that I'm not just fat, but that I have a little human inside of me. I have had women comment to me twice this week that I don't look nearly as pregnant as I am telling them I am. I understand when my students say that, they just don't have any perspective, but when women who have had babies and are older say it, well, presumably, they know what they are talking about.

On a happy note though, I already know when my first baby shower will be. I am so excited that the teachers at my school want to do this for me. It will be on Wednesday, May 16, after school. I know it might be a little early for a shower, but we only have 12 days of school left before summer break begins. The invitations are really cute too. They have a black-and-white photo of a tiny baby hand inside the mother's hand and say, "Pink or blue, we have no clue."

There were a few other things I wanted to journal tonight, but I have already rambled on quite a bit so I leave you with this little joke:
Q: Do I have to have a baby shower?
A: Not if you change the baby's diaper very quickly.

Comments

  1. OK, I need to clarify something. The tent I was looking at was not a family tent and was not meant to accomodate our growing family. It was a backpacking tent meant to be lightweight and packable. Now, I am not much of a backpacker, but I have used such a tent for motorcycle trips. The only problem is that I have to borrow a tent from a friend whenever I go on these trips, since I don't have a tent.

    So, while my lovely wife nixed the tent idea because our family won't be going on camping trips anytime soon, I am still looking forward to another road trip.

    Last year, I spent a week going to Deal's Gap in Tennessee and riding the Blue Ridge Parkway to Virginia. This year, I went back to TN and rode the Natchez Trace Parkway down to MS and then rode through Louisiana and back to home.

    So, if you have any ideas for future trips, let me know. And if you have any ideas on how to convince a new mom to let the new dad take a week off to travel, I'd be thankful to hear those too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're not fat, you're pregnant.
    Don't you dare be sad about how you look! I read where you got teared up about how your body is geering up and getting ready for the new baby. How beautiful it is, etc. Well then, it is just as beautiful that you look like you look while you're pregnant, and getting ready for the neww arrival.
    I love you, momma to soon be.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it is true that your life will change with the birth of your first child, but it is only for the better. In my opinion, the first 8 months are the hardest. Once your new baby becomes mobile, it will become easier for you. As for the Sunday naps, a well trained child will still allow mom a little time to relax!! My son is 17 months old and I haven't missed a Sunday nap yet! He enjoys them just as much as I do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is good to know I won't have to give up my Sunday naps completely! Any tips on raising a "well-trained child" would be greatly aprpeciated!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You will get lots of advice on how to raise your kids from many different people across many different walks of life, especially since this is your first. My husband and I listened to everybody's advice, then just did what we felt was best. Our little boy is a very well behaved boy because we started early with discipline. We want him to be a polite, respectful, well-mannered gentleman. To raise a well-trained kid, start early establishing routines and be very consistent. In a short period of time, he or she will know that breakfast comes at 8:00, we take a nap at 2:00 on Sunday afternoon, etc. It will be a little shaky at the beginning, after all your baby has just been taken from a warm, cozy place to be thrown into a world filled with lots of strange noise and lights. Just be consistent and hang in there.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Be sure to leave an email address in your profile or in your comment if you'd like a reply.

Popular posts from this blog

Win Free Cereal

Note to Self

Yoplait Kids