Teaching a 3 Year Old to Read

Recently, Charlotte has been begging me to teach her how to read. I don't mind trying, but I don't want to frustrate her. A friend gave me a box of Sing, Spell, Read and Write : Level 1 Kit (SSRW). She used this with 3 of her children and says wonderful things about it. It is also used by a local elementary school teacher with much success. The kit she lent me is old school with cassette tapes and a VHS video tape that I can't use, but all of the other materials are there.

I have 2 other friends who have used Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons with success. It looks much simpler than SSRW, and requires fewer manipulatives.

Do any of you have any personal experience to add with either one. If you've taught your children to read at home, how did you decide which curriculum to choose? Do you think almost 3 1/2 is just too young to even try?

Comments

  1. It sounds like Charlotte has a keen interest in reading. I would answer her questions as she asks,and continue reading to her daily, but don't know that I would try a formal reading program at 3 1/2. My middle daughter taught herself to read about that age, but the other 2 learned in school. I was worried at first when I heard the Montesorri moms talking about their children reading at 3. But by the end of first grade, my kids were reading as well as they were and were able to play for 2 more years! Relax and let Charlotte set the pace. She is obviously quite bright and has a terrific mom.:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Be sure to leave an email address in your profile or in your comment if you'd like a reply.

Popular posts from this blog

Win Free Cereal

Note to Self

Yoplait Kids