I Might Be Crazy

Two days ago I made a big decision. It was a follow-up decision to a commitment I had made last Spring and then broke. 

I decided to spend the next 37 days training for the Disney Princess Half-Marathon

Yes. You read the right. I decided less than 6 weeks before a 13.2 mile race to begin training. 

It all started in the Spring of 2010 when I called my friend Kelly in CA and asked her to do this race with me. She said yes and then promptly registered.

I enrolled in a C25K class, and then dropped out after 8 or 9 weeks because I didn't enjoy running. Which I had already known. (Except for this one strange morning last summer.) Then, I kind of forgot about my promise to Kelly.

Until she posted on FB two days ago that she bought her plane ticket to come to FL and had made arrangements for someone to watch her 6 year old son.

Uh-oh!

I immediately checked and there was still room to register for the race. It was 94% full (still is as of this morning). I asked my running friends what they thought about my chances of being able to do this. They were overwhelmingly encouraging and one of them even created a training schedule for me to take me to race week. Here it is:

Day 1 - 3 mile
2 - 3 miles
3 - 4 miles
4 - REST
5 - 3 miles
6 - 6 miles
7 - REST
8 - 3 miles
9 - 7 miles
10 - 3 miles
11 - 3 miles
12 - REST
13 - 4 miles
14 - 8 miles
15 - 3 miles
16 - REST
17 - 4 miles
18 - 3 miles
19 - 9 miles
20 - REST
21 - 4 miles
22 - 4 miles
23 - 3 miles
24 - 10 miles
25 - REST
26 - 4 miles
27 - 4 miles
28 - 3 miles
29 - 12 miles
30 - REST
31 - 3 miles
32 - 4 miles
33 - 3 miles
34 - 8 miles
35 - REST
36 - 3 miles
37 - REST
38 - RACE DAY - 13.1 MILES

I started my training yesterday with a 3-mile walk. I do not plan to run this half-marathon. On my first walk, I averaged a 15-minute mile almost exactly, which I'm told is a great starting point.

My plan is to stay super hydrated, walk as fast as I can, and pray for a healthy body that can avoid injury.

What's the craziest thing you've done recently?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Win Free Cereal

Note to Self

Yoplait Kids