My Favorite Bread Recipe

Recently, I've been making my own bread. And everyone in the family loves it. There isn't one of us who doesn't walk past it in the kitchen without at least pondering whether or not to cut off a slice. Some of us ponder whether or not to slather it with Nutella.

The recipe is super basic and works well with white bread flour or with a combination of that and whole wheat flour. I adapted an Amish White Bread recipe for our family's personal taste and my bread maker. I picked it up for $10 several years ago at a yard sale. I've seen others just as cheap at the thrift store too.

If you have a bread maker, add the ingredients in this order:
  • 2 cups warm water
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 6 cups bread flour (split between white & wheat if you like)
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons dry active yeast

Once everything is in the bread maker, just set it to the dough setting and you can walk away for 90 minutes (depending on the manufacturer settings of your machine). After the dough cycle is complete, I divide my dough and bake. Sometimes I make rolls and other times a loaf of bread. Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees. I bake the loaf for 30-40 minutes depending on the humidity and the rolls take about 15 minutes.

The original Amish White Bread recipe was passed to me by a friend who doesn't own a bread maker and she makes this bread regularly with great success. So even if you don't have one, you can still make healthy home made bread.

What is your favorite home made bread recipe?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Win Free Cereal

Note to Self

Yoplait Kids