Someone Else's Granola Recipe

I discovered the joy of making your own granola bars this week. And I might be hooked now. The recipe is super easy and highly customizable. I am looking forward to trying lots of different variations of it. Plus, it is highly frugal to make your own granola bars. For the cost of one box at the store I can make this recipe, which gives you any where from 24-30 bars depending on how you cut them.

My friend Kim gave me the recipe, but she got it from someone else. So I'm just calling this Someone Else's Granola Bars. They come out soft and chewy and addictive.


Someone Else's Granola Bars
  1. 4 cups rolled oats
  2. 1 cup whole wheat flour
  3. ¼ cup wheat germ or flax seed (I have used flax meal)
  4. ½ tsp salt
  5. 1 tsp baking soda
  6. ½ cup brown sugar
  7. ½ cup sunflower seeds, pepitas, walnuts, almonds, pecans, etc… any kind of nut.
  8. 1 cup any – craisins, raisins, dried apricots, dried apples, etc…
  9. 2/3 cup peanut butter
  10. 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
  11. 1 egg, slightly beaten
  12. ¼ cup water
  13. ½ cup honey, maple syrup or sugar-free syrup (honey is cheaper per ounce)
Combine dry ingredients (first 7 items) in mixer. In separate bowl combine remaining ingredients. Then add wet t dry and mix until it is the consistency of oatmeal cookies. I found that I needed to add an extra tablespoon or two of water to get to that consistency.
 
Press mixture into 9x13 pan.  They will be sticky so put some oil on your hands before pressing in or just use the back of a silicone spatula. Bake at 325 for 15-20 minutes. Once they cool a little bit (maybe 5-10 minutes) cut into whatever size you like best, bars or squares. I was able to get about 28 bars (plus some scrap to snack on!) or 24 squares from each of the 4 batches I made last night.
 
To cut on the peanut butter taste or amount of fat, you can substitute ½ of peanut butter with canned pumpkin or applesauce or any fruit puree. I haven't tried this yet, but my friend Karissa said it worked.
 
Here are some potential flavor combinations:
  • sunflower seeds, pepitas, craisins and apricots;
  • walnuts, apples and cinnamon;
  • pumpkin, walnut and raisins; or
  • mini chocolate chips, cocoa powder, and peanuts.
Have you made homemade granola before? I would like to try new recipes and would love to know yours. Leave it or a link in the comments.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Win Free Cereal

Note to Self

Yoplait Kids