Since I am still nursing Charlotte at 13-months old, and proud of it, when I saw this headline -
Fourth baby dies from tainted formula - I had to click over. What I read made me so sad. Apparently, two brothers decided that their financial situation was more important than the health of the thousands or more babies that would drink the milk they processed.
Investigators said the brothers confessed to watering down the raw milk and mixing in tripolycyanamide, also known as melamine. They said they did it to recover losses suffered when the factory rejected earlier milk shipments, the paper reported.I am so sad over this unnecessary pain and loss of life. Now, I know we can't protect our children from every ill in this world, and I know this isn't a "China" problem. Evil lurks in the hearts of men all over the world. But golly, if these Chinese moms had been able to practice extended nursing, at least some of this pain and death might have been avoided.
Health experts say ingesting melamine can lead to kidney stones, urinary tract ulcers, and eye and skin irritation. The chemical is commonly used in coatings and laminates, wood adhesives, fabric coatings, ceiling tiles and flame retardants.
AP Image: Parents show babies suffering from kidney stones at a hospital in Lanzhou, Gansu province.
One additional note to prevent anyone from getting scared... From WebMD:
Infant formulas made in China shouldn't be on store shelves, regardless of melamine. The FDA requires all infant formula makers to register with the FDA and to meet certain standards; no Chinese companies have met those requirements.