Bringing Home Baby

While I am on the treadmill at the gym, I like to watch the TLC show, "Bringing Home Baby." I am delighted to see how much these babies are loved and to see the new moms and dads take care of them.

Sometimes it is funny. And sometimes it frustrates me.

Dads fumbling with trying to put on or remove tiny baby clothes with their big man hands amuse me.

Watching a newborn's head start to flip back because no one is supporting it scares me.

I see mom or dad giving their new baby a bath and then carry the wet baby across the room to get a towel. Of course, the baby is screaming because she is freezing cold and has no other way to communicate her discomfort.

Or mom is trying to breastfeed and when she has difficulties her well-intentioned friends say, "just give him a bottle." The baby doesn't know better and momma's milk never comes in. This frustrates me.

I just wish every new mom had an experienced mom to help her out in the beginning and show her how to do things to make her, the baby, and the rest of the family more comfortable. I was fortunate to find Kellymom.com early on and that made a huge difference in my breastfeeding of Charlotte. I also had access to Lactation Consultants at the hospital where I gave birth. But what about all the other parts of parenting - bathing, feeding, dressing, safety, relating to siblings, taking care of mom?

I was fortunate to find another new resource that, if nothing else, will show moms that they are not alone in their struggles and joys, that they are not that different from other new moms.

NewBaby.com is a pregnancy and parenting website oriented towards sharing advice via video. I can watch these videos and see moms who are just like me. They might not have their hair perfectly smoothed back and for sure they might be a bit frazzled, but they are being honest and sharing their experience with other new moms.

If you haven't already, visit NewBaby.com. Check out the videos on the Wall. You might learn something that helps you, or find advice or an article that is just what a mom around you needs to see.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Win Free Cereal

Note to Self

Yoplait Kids