Favorite Toddler Books, Currently

Since we live so close to Lakeland, Charlotte and I have started spending a lot of time at the local library. I have found that Charlotte definitely has a preference for some books over others. Here are her, and my, current favorites.
  1. Snuggle Puppy Sandra Boynton - This book is a lot of fun to read. It became even more fun when I found a snippet of the song this book belongs too!
  2. You and Me, Baby by Lynn Reiser and Penny Gentieu - I love the cadence of this book. The words flow off the tongue and the bright pictures invite Charlotte to interact with the words.
  3. Little Monster's Book of Numbers by Frances Thomas and Ross Collins - The main character is so ugly, he is cute. In the first counting book on my list, we go from 10 to 1 using interesting rhyme and bright illustrations.
  4. Let's Be Honest by P.K. Hallinan - It is never too early to start helping our children build character. She might not understand everything I read from this book, but it is all going somewhere in her brain for me to build on in the coming months.
  5. A to Z by Sandra Boynton - Yep, another Boynton book. Another mom at the library recommended her to us and I have to second that recommendation. In this book, she simply goes through the alphabet by describing animals in alliterative ways, like "iguanas itching," and "vicuna violining."
  6. Sunshine On My Shoulder by John Denver, Illustrated by Christopher Canyon - I choose this book based purely on the illustrations. They are rich and light at the same time. I just want to jump into the scene every time I turn the page. You can listen to the song here if this song is before your time.
  7. Snuggle Wuggle by Johnathan London - A nursery "lesson plan" site suggested this book and after reading it I am so glad. With Charlotte's current obsession with hugs, this book, which describes the way all sorts of animals hug, is perfect!
  8. A Children's Garden of Verses by Robert Louis Stevenson - One of my favorite childhood poems is in this book, "My Shadow." The artwork that accompanies each poem is classic and simple. These verses made a couple of other board books we checked out seem lifeless and pathetic.
  9. 1 is One by Tasha Tudor (abridged, board book version)- This counting book is delightful in its illustrations and simple verse. Each page, alternating between full color and black and white, is bordered with delicate flowers. I enjoy looking at the images over and over again.
  10. Beach, an Usborne look and say - What I enjoyed about this book is the tabs on the edges of the page. Charlotte loves to turn the pages herself, often faster than I can get the page pulled up for her tiny fingers. Plus, the illustrations are actually photos of clay models and that is a nice change from the drawings in most children's books.
  11. P. Bear's New Year's Party by Paul Owen Lewis - Another counting book. This one uses a clock to show us the numbers. We aren't ready for time telling lessons just yet, but I like the ability to show Charlotte numbers in different patterns. The words are simple... P. Bear is letting his guests in, one type at a time, "1 whale, 2 horses, 3 dairy cows," etc...
  12. Hug, Hug, Hug by Emily Jenkins and Tomek Bogacki - This is a Bea and HaHa book that I don't really understand. But I get to say the word hug three times on each page. And since Charlotte loves to sign her word for hug and give hugs, I like this book by default!
  13. Annie and the Wild Animals by Jan Brett - Brett does double duty on this one, taking credit for both the story and the illustrations. They are rich, inviting, and beautiful. The story was a little long for Charlotte, but there were enough things for her to look at on each page that we made it through this one several times.
What is your favorite book for toddlers? Would you suggest something for me to add to our library list?

Submitted to Thursday Thirteen.

The winner of last week's Yoplait Kids giveaway is Seesawstar @ My Precious Pennies.

Comments

  1. I love Sandra Boynton's books. I've got a lot of them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anything by Max Lucado is really sweet.

    Where Did Daddy's Hair Go? is funny & really sweet.

    C is for Cornhusker is a great one, too. And you'll like it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your list, and I share some lists at my book blog which I'll link to in a second but I suggest books by Audrey Wood & Jan Brett, they are very colorful and great reads. I love when moms read to their little ones. I started when mine were in theh womb, and have never stopped...they are teens now.
    Have a great Thursday and if you wish pop by my TT at The Cafe at the END of the Universe & Mama Bear Reads.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My kids love the "I love you yesterday, today and tomorrow too" and the "Jesus was little just like you".

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your list. Snuggle Wuggle and Cuddle Wuddle were two of our favorites. I might drag them back out at bedtime tonight for my 5 year old and read them again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. you got a good list there! we are huge readers over here too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also love "A Children's Garden of Verses"...another good toddler book is "I'll Love You Forever" by Robert Munsch (sp?)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Edi, We have that one too. It didn't make my list though because I forgot about it. I still haven't unpacked Charlotte's books from our move, so we are only reading the library ones these days.

    Mrs. S, I'll have to add some of those Max Lucado books to our library list.

    Andrea & Sassy, Oh, those are going on our list too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great list! I will have to do a similar post sometime with my favorites! Toddler books are daily reads in our home!

    I love Sandra Boyton books, too!
    So you sing the Snuggle puppy phrase to a tune?
    I do! My kids love it! :)
    Happy TT! Mine is up here and I would love a visit!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My son's current favorites are Dog by Matthew Van Fleet, The Very Lonely Firefly by Eric Carle, Sleepyhead Bear by Lisa Westberg Peters (very colorful!) and any Peanuts book (big Snoopy fan).

    Thanks for the list. I've got some new ones to check out.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Be sure to leave an email address in your profile or in your comment if you'd like a reply.

Popular posts from this blog

Win Free Cereal

Note to Self

Yoplait Kids