Recipe: Dirty Omelets

Once a week, we eat breakfast for dinner, aka Brinner. Why? Because breakfast is the most awesome meal of the day! When else can you eat cake (i.e. pancakes) and call it a meal? No one even bats an eye if you serve panCAKES, especially when they are these awesome Pumpkin Pancakes. In fact, if you were at my house, you might even get cheered by the under 5 crowd when you announced cake for supper!

Another brinner that I love to make is affectionately known as "Dirty Omelets," so called because it, well, because it looks dirty. (Get your mind out of the gutter!)  Now, I'm sure someone out there is going to want to argue the point that, technically, this isn't an omelet. And before you go there, I'll admit, this is not, officially, an omelet. But it captures the essence of an omelet, at least in my opinion.

(Let's pretend that plate has a warm biscuit and a pretty fruit salad on it, okay?)

Everyone has their preferences for omelet fillings, but if you want to make an actual "dirty" omelet, then you must include mushrooms. This is what gives it that "dirty" appearance.

In this house, we happen to like onions. A lot. We go through a lot of onions around here. I always start my dirty omelets with a generous serving of butter in which to saute my veggies.

Then I let it all cook down until it has a lot of color. Leave enough in the pan for one or two omelets depending on how many hungry folk you'll be feeding.

And here's where we depart from typical omelet preparation. I just dump the scrambled eggs right on top of my sauteed veggies. After adding some more butter of course.
Oops you caught me... I a messy cook! But look, I have that cool salt cellar like Alton Brown!

Once that has cooked down a bit, I dump a bunch of cheese on top. I've yet to find the amount of cheese that is too much. Really, I don't think you can add too much. You could even get fancy and add different kinds of cheese. Me? I keep it simple and use sharp cheddar straight out of the bag!

And there you have it folks. This is how I make dirty omelets.

What is your favorite brinner recipe?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Win Free Cereal

Note to Self

Yoplait Kids