Nutella, Oh How I Love Thee

The first time I tasted Nutella, I knew we would begin a life long relationship. I was in high school and my mom brought home a freshly baked baguette and a jar of Nutella from a French bakery. It was foreign and sweet. That was all it took. I was hooked on Nutella.

Last fall, Nutella was on sale. And I had coupons. So I bought several jars and introduced Charlotte to it. She mostly enjoys it on home made oatmeal waffles, but sometimes we just use frozen waffles. Surprisingly, she doesn't like it when I put a super thick layer of Nutella on her waffle. A thin layer is all it takes to make her happy. (And those several jars, they would have lasted longer if the teenager in my house hadn't discovered her own love of Nutella as well!)

So, with my love of Nutella firmly established, when Mommy Parties invited me to host a Nutella Play Date in my home, I could hardly say no. There were a few points I wanted to share with my Mommy friends lest they think we eat chocolate for breakfast all the time.

  • Nutella does have cocoa in it, but used in moderation, it can be a nice breakfast or desert treat. 
  • There are no peanuts in Nutella so I can serve it to Mary & Charlotte without worrying about allergens. This is important in our house because Mary always wants what Charlotte has. I like to pick my battles and meal time has enough issues of its own that I don't want the fight if I serve them different food.
  • It goes really well with fruit and homemade breads. Nutella with sliced strawberries, bananas, apples, or pears makes just about everyone happy. 
  • Did you know there are more than 50 hazelnuts in a single jar of Nutella? More than 100 hazelnuts in the extra large jar!

Here's a fun Nutella recipe I made up the morning of the party. I don't have a clever name for them, so let me know if you think of one. It is slices of bananas spread with Nutella and topped off with Multi-Grain Cheerios.


Here are some of the moms and kids enjoying homemade waffles


Have you tried Nutella? How do you like to eat it?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Win Free Cereal

Note to Self

Yoplait Kids