Mary Is Giving Up the Pacifier

It isn't her first choice, but the time has come for Mary to give up her pacifier. She wasn't really thrilled with the idea as she has become rather attached to the darn thing over the last 18 months. And truth be told, so have I. 

Unfortunately, we noticed a month or so ago that Mary's teeth seemed to be coming in crooked, almost in the shape of her Soothie pacifier. So we decided it was time to go. I was not looking forward to it, and it still is hard.

We began by telling her she could only have it in bed and when we left the house (for the benefit of the people around us). It was tough for the first several days since she was used to having it almost constantly. Then she got used to it. If she got hurt or was extra tired I sometimes gave it to her for a few minutes.

After a week or so of that, I'm trying to limit it outside of the house. It seems to be working mostly. Though, the other morning she asked to take a nap at 9:30 am just so she could have her paci. I figured that was her goal when just a short time later she seemed to be ready to get up. I indulged her because I think she really likes playing with her big sister more than her paci.

She still gets it when she takes a nap or goes to bed. And I try to keep it handy in the car. But pretty much everywhere else the rule is no, unless she is getting tired or gets hurt. 

The funniest part of the whole thing is that when we get her out of the crib in the morning, she'll take her last couple hard sucks of her paci before putting it down to get out. It cracks me up every time!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Win Free Cereal

Note to Self

Yoplait Kids