My New Favorite Bean Burrito Recipe

Last fall, I checked out several "diabetic" cookbooks from the library in hopes of finding newer, healthier recipes to enjoy with my family.

My favorite recipe so far comes from The All Natural Diabetes Cookbook, by Jackie Newgent. Everything seems easy enough to make and comes with the nutritional informaton and exchanges for each recipe.

The recipe that is now a new vegetarian favorite (we try to eag vegetarian at least once a week to save money) is called Uno, Dos, Tres Bean Burrito, on page 198 of the cookbook.

Here is my modified version of the recipe:
  • 1 tsp canola or peanut oil
  • 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
  • 1 can black beans, drained
  • 1 can white beans, drained (I used northern beans)
  • 1 can pinto or roman beans (I used pinto)
  • 1/2 cup salsa
  • 4 10-inch tortillas
  • 1/3 cup cheese (or more if you are like me!)
  • 2 cups of mixed baby greens (I just used spinach)
Saute onions in oil until lightly carmelized. Add the beans and saute 2 minutes. Then add salsa (and cilantro if you like it) to heat through. Remove from heat. Sprinkle some cheese down center of each burrito then top with bean mixture and greens. Roll the tortilla and serve immediately.

(The picture represents the leftover burrito I made when I was out of greens, it is even prettier with the baby spinach! Oh, and I took that with my new Nikon D40... isn't it pretty?)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Win Free Cereal

Note to Self

Yoplait Kids