Friday, December 02, 2011

Homemade Microwave Popcorn

I love microwave popcorn. The year I was on Weight Watchers, I ate it almost daily. It's a great source of fiber and very filling, but I have since then realized that even though it may be low calorie, it really isn't that healthy. Those chemicals don't sound anything like food I can buy at the store and I just can't bring myself to eat it anymore. When I found  a Fox News article on 7 Foods You Should Never Eat, it occurred to me that other people might be interested in an easy way to make microwave popcorn at home.

A while back on Pinterest, I found a link for how to make your own microwave popcorn. It was so easy, I jumped up off my couch and made it with my daughters right then and there. I can't find the original link, but here's how I make it now.

Homemade Microwave Popcorn

  • 3 Tablespoons plain corn kernels
  • 1/8 tsp oil or butter (I prefer coconut oil)
  • salt to taste

Stir together all 3 ingredients in a cup or bowl, then pour into a brown paper lunch bag. Fold the top down 2-3 times and then place upright into the microwave. For time, I just push the popcorn button on my microwave, which  is about 2 1/2 minutes. And just like store-bought microwave popcorn, you'll need to take it out when the time between pops gets to about 2-3 seconds long.

For me, once I tasted this version of popcorn, the premade stuff from the store tasted gross. It was as if my tongue was completely rejecting those chemicals with 15 syllables! Also, I know air popping this would be even healthier, but I don't have room for any more appliances in my kitchen.

Let me know if you try this and what your family thinks of it.

1 comment:

  1. I love microwave popcorn too because it's crunchier. I think it's also easier to make because it's faster and they all pop accurately.

    commercial popcorn machines for sale

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Be sure to leave an email address in your profile or in your comment if you'd like a reply.