Move Over 2006, Here Comes 2007's Story

 Pregnancy is an exciting time! You get to feel a new life growing in your tummy. Dreams of the future take over your brain. And you can gain weight with no one caring! Woo hoo!

Okay, not really. At least for that last part. People do care if you gain weight when you are pregnant. Your OB cares. Your husband cares. Your clothing budget cares.

A few weeks after finding out that we were pregnant with Charlotte, my family went on a 7 day cruise to celebrate the 20th anniversary of my parents. I was no longer counting Weight Watcher points and ate whatever I pleased, secure in the knowledge that it was now okay to gain weight, how else would I begin to look pregnant?!

What logic! I knew better in my head, but just could not get my mouth and hand to listen. The first couple of months of my pregnancy, I felt like the Weight Watcher run had been pulled out from underneath me. Due to a lack of research, Weight Watchers does not allow you to remain on the program if you are pregnant. Maybe some day they will find a points balance that works for pregnancy, but until then, they won't touch it with a 10-foot pole.

While it was not an obscene amount, I did gain more weight than I should have in the first three months of pregnancy. Eventually, I leveled off and got my eating under control. In the end, I gained a healthy amount of weight during my pregnancy. It helped that I got a part time job at Curves and worked there until about two weeks before Charlotte was born.

Within a month of giving birth, I was doing pretty good with getting back to my pre-pregnancy weight. The nursing helped. But the weight loss didn't last long. Charlotte did not sleep well. I became addicted to caffeine again. And with the stress of working, parenting, and not sleeping, the cortisol kicked in. If there was a carbohydrate or a gram of fat to be found, my body craved it. Pop Tarts and Little Debbie's were my most evil nemesis!

To be continued...

Comments

  1. When I was pregnant with James I gained 50 pounds and I gained 60 pounds with Elisabeth. I am a total stress eater and my downfall....thing thing that I am addicted to the most is....bread. I LOVE bread. I have to really try and stay away from it but it is my comfort food:( Praying for success my friend!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Be sure to leave an email address in your profile or in your comment if you'd like a reply.

Popular posts from this blog

Win Free Cereal

Note to Self

Yoplait Kids