Today, you are 34 years old. Last night, you said 34 wasn't a very special age, that it didn't really mean anything other than you were one year closer to death. Of course, being the pragmatic person I am, I reminded you that this was true for every birthday. And you, being equally pragmatic, of course agreed before we drifted off to sleep.
But, I think turning 34 is awesome (maybe because it will be my turn in 5 weeks?!). So, in honor of your 34th birthday, here are 34 reasons you are an awesome human being.
- You always kiss me good night.
- You never stop trying to learn new things (like teaching yourself Greek!).
- You actually enjoy watching So You Think You Can Dance with me!
- Your sense of humor is dry and sarcastic, just my type.
- You have a silly side.
- You humor my long-winded stories filled with an impossible number of unnecessary details.
- You let me sleep in more mornings than not.
- You work hard at being the best you can be in your job.
- You work so I can stay home and be a full-time mom.
- You are more patient with me than I deserve sometimes.
- You are the smartest person most people know, including me.
- You always look for ways to save money, even if it means sacrificing something you love.
- You ride a motorcycle, and you do so with as much safety as possible.
- You look hotter now than you did 8 years ago!
- You didn't flinch when I asked to go away to my MOPS convention.
- You can be exceedingly thoughtful when it comes to gift giving.
- You will get up with one of the girls in the middle of the night so I can sleep.
- You like Dr. Pepper.
- You rarely complain about the meals I cook.
- You are willing to eat meat only occasionally to help the grocery budget.
- You encourage me to stay on budget, gently.
- You care deeply about missions, even to the point of choosing our daughter's names.
- You always say yes if you know it's important to me or the girls.
- You love the internet a much as I do.
- You will usually choose a chick flick for movie night, just to make me happy.
- You are faithful to teaching your men's Bible study well.
- You always stop to play with the girls when they ask.
- Love isn't just a word to you, you live it out towards your entire family.
- You even say "I love you," when you talk to my parents.
- You can fall asleep super quickly (I'm insanely jealous over this one!)
- You have strong arms.
- You actively support my blogging efforts, including my new blog, Mom's Mission Field.
- You freely give our daughters hugs and snuggles and comfort.
- You love Jesus more than you love your family.
So Bruce, I hope you don't think 34 is ordinary any more... because you certainly are not ordinary and I couldn't imagine spending life without you by my side. Happy birthday!