Monday, August 06, 2007

1 Week Left?

Today was another ObGyn appointment. I finally met with Dr. Salamon again. She did a pelvic exam and announced that I am 70-80% effaced and 1-2 cm dilated. She thinks I might have the baby this week, but we've still scheduled an appointment for next Monday. We also set-up an ultrasound so they can check on the amniotic fluid.

Remember when I said I didn't think I was having contractions... I was wrong. I found out today that I have been having them, but since they didn't hurt I hadn't really noticed them. It turns out that all those times my belly got that rock-hard feeling, I was having a practice contraction. I never knew. I just thought it was kind of cool how hard my belly was. How naive of me. :-)

Dr. Salamon said that if I hadn't gone into labor my next appointment, on 8/13, she wanted to schedule an induction. Well, regular readers of my blog know that is not high on my list of ways to begin labor and delivery. I came home and looked into it some more and at this point, can see no medical reason why an induction will be necessary. Even the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists doesn't seem to recommend an induction in my particular circumstance. I didn't question the doctor today because she was already behind schedule, but you can be sure that next week if she tries to schedule one (and my circumstances haven't changed) I will politely decline her offer. I don't see any reason why going past my due date, by a week even, is harmful. This of course, assumes that there are no major changes in my condition or that of Baby Sabin's.

I feel ready though. Baby Sabin can come whenever he or she feels ready!

1 comment:

  1. ok - She's here! Where's the pictures???? It's ben an entire hour...what you waiting for???

    Congratulations! God bless you and the newest and first little member of your family! May there be many, many more!