Prepared Childbirth

Yesterday was a long day. Bruce and I went to the prepared childbirth class at the Regency. The class was from 9 am - 5 pm with a 1-hour lunch break. I thought it might be information overload to try and absorb everything in one day instead of going to the 5-week session (1 night a week for 5 weeks), but it really wasn't. Suzzane was the instructor this time and she did a great job of keeping the class moving forward and covering information quickly enough that we didn't get bored.

For those of you who don't know, I have decided to try and experience childbirth without any medical intervention. This means that, barring a medical emergency, I do not want anyone doing anything to my body other than providing comfort measures (like massage). I have read about the many different interventions that are possible (breaking the water, medication to induce or speed up labor, medication to reduce pain, constant fetal monitoring, c-sections, etc...) and it seems to me that once you decide to accept one intervention, there are others that almost always follow behind it. Kind of like a slippery slide, and not the fun kind. As we watched a few different birthing stories on DVD, I observed that the women who had epidurals did not really seem to be any more comfortable than those who chose no interventions. And it was easy to see that one intervention led to another.

I've really come to the conclusion that I should have chosen a mid-wife for delivery instead of a traditional ObGyn in a hospital setting. However, with only 4-5 weeks left, it is a little too late to change my mind so I'll be completing my birthing plan as thoroughly as possible so there is no doubt with the nurses and my ObGyn as to what I want to experience. I am fully aware however, that medical emergencies do occur and my "plan" for birth will be completely thrown out the window. Bruce and I have discussed what I want in that situation, or in the situation that I am unable to contribute to any decision making.

I'm off to spend a few days in Ft. Lauderdale with my mom and her co-workers. I'll mostly be hanging out by the pool in the morning and working on some continuing education for school. Bruce will be alone at home studying for his Biology certification exam. If you think about it, send him an e-mail to remind him to eat his veggies. :-)

Comments

  1. No matter what you do to prepare....nature will do what she sees fit.

    Love ya Tess
    BRUCE eat your veggies

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Be sure to leave an email address in your profile or in your comment if you'd like a reply.

Popular posts from this blog

Win Free Cereal

Note to Self

Yoplait Kids