My New Project - A Dresser for the Dining Room

My husband just brought home my newest project! I had only seen a fuzzy cell phone picture of it so I wasn't entirely sure what to expect, but it was free for the taking and I had just enough info to know it would fit my space in size, if not color.

We are in the process of trying to make our dining room a functional space for both homeschooling and dining and the Ikea dressers we had been using for storage the last four years are falling apart from continued use. This redo has to be done on a frugal budget, so I really couldn't see myself passing up a free dresser! It easily offers enough storage to replace the two plain white, Ikea dressers that are going to either be repurposed, donated, or tossed.

Now, we have to figure out what to do with this piece to make it my own. It really is gorgeous and I am thrilled that it has "feet." The rest of our furniture (mostly also from Ikea) all sits flush to the ground, so I am really counting on this piece to break things up for us.

I've pretty much already decided that I am not keeping all of the drawers and am currently leaning towards only keeping the bottom two (the long yellow ones below). My Pinterest has been busy tonight looking for some inspiration pieces both in color and design. Since this dresser will go in my dining room, I don't want it to look like a dresser.


Then, of course, is the color decision. After going back and forth and back and forth while I waited for it to arrive, I'm thinking about painting it a neutral on the outside (or keeping the current yellow), and then using a bright pop of teal and/or red on the inside (like this dresser redo).


But the issue of what neutral color to choose is hard for me. I don't want a neutral shade of brown... but I also don't want a darker neutral like navy or black. A neutral yellow really does appeal to me, which is why I might not do too much to the outside of this piece.

I really love the curves in this piece... such a nice change from all of the lines and angles in the rest of our furniture!

What do you think? What changes would you make to this dresser to make it more fun and modern? Any suggestions for drawer pulls or baskets?

Comments

  1. I love that idea! I have never even thought about doing that to a dresser. How awesome!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Be sure to leave an email address in your profile or in your comment if you'd like a reply.

Popular posts from this blog

Win Free Cereal

Note to Self

Yoplait Kids