Sharing the Love: Counting the Hours

Do you ever read someone else's blog post and really, really wish you had written it? Not in a jealous, "I want to be better than you way," but in a "I've been there and I know that feeling" sort of way.

Recently, I've had so many things going on that blogging has fallen to just the bare minimum, just the posts that I've made outside commitments to write. As that trend continues, I want to send you over to Five in Tow to read her post "Counting the Hours."

This particular quote described me perfectly after I had Mary:
With all the hours counted, I knew just how tired I could be, or irritated, or unproductive. I knew how much to require of other people and how much to coddle myself. I knew what I could or could not do.

Ok, I confess, I started doing this after Charlotte was born! I began to idolize sleep. I told anyone who would listen that all of my problems would be solved if I could just get a full night's sleep. It wasn't true then, and it isn't true now. And letting go of that belief was very freeing for me. Refusing to let sleep be an idol was one of the best parenting decisions I ever made.

If you are a mom of young children, I guarantee Kristen's Counting the Hours will move you to tears. Especially if you are sleep deprived. (You are more weepy when you are sleep deprived like me, right?)

Comments

  1. So true. I think we all dream of sleep. I would be happy to just be able to go to the potty by myself:) My girls used to have a decent bedtime and then I would spend time with my hubby and have my quiet time with the Lord...well....that ended two years ago. House church is late at night, starting after 9pm and not getting home until after 11:30 most nights. It's not every night but 2 nights a week plus other meetings at your own home with meals and friends add to the problem. Most people don't get off work until 8:30 or 9:00 at night. So the girls sleep until 9:00 or later and then I fall into bed with them at night and can barely keep my eyes open. I love sleep....I'm in menopause...I MISS sleep but yes...we can't make sleep our idol but ohhh how I miss that time at night by myself!!!!! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny you mention that "time at night by myself." Because more than anything right now, it's what keeps me from getting more sleep. I might be idolizing my "me time" now!

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for linking to my blog! I think you hit the nail on the head with your paragraph about idolizing sleep. I'd like to post it on my FB page with the link back to your post. Thanks again for sharing my story!
    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a story more moms need to read! I don't mind at all if you share it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Be sure to leave an email address in your profile or in your comment if you'd like a reply.

Popular posts from this blog

Win Free Cereal

Note to Self

Giveaway: Yoplait Delights Parfait